Friday, December 09, 2005

This is life, and this is me smiling. But unfortunately this is me commenting on music, and I hate it when I do this...

So, as cliched as it is, I felt it was time for my top albums of 2005. Seeing as thoguh you are all dying to know...


Here goes...


1. Coheed and Cambria - Good Apollo I'm Burning Star -
The third album from Coheed and Cambria is the best yet, less heavy but more intelligent and sounding mroe and more like Pink Floyd everyday. A classic, already!
2. Pelican - The Fire In Our Throats Will Beckon The Thaw -
If you don't like Pelican then you're either stupid or dead. Heavier than Rik Waller's shits and mellower than flower picking with a hippy. Introducing acoustic elements was the best thing they ever did. Fantastic!
3. Chimaira - Chimaira -
As once said by my favourite DiS reviewer... "Are they playing their guitars with hacksaws?". Well yes, I believe they are. Heavy, aggressive and a masterpiece. Better than The Impossibility of Reason.
4. Team Sleep - Team Sleep -
Electronic is cool right now. Team Sleep, on the other hand, aren't... maybe its the Deftones connection. Either way there's no denying how good this record actually is. Tomb Of Liegia is a fantastic song!
5. Finch - Say Hello To Sunshine -
After the most average first album ever produced, this was a fantastic surprise owing more to Faith No More and A Perfect Circle than Funeral For A Friend, buy it now!
6. The Mars Volta - Frances The Mute -
Prententious as shit, but tons better than the first album, yet to see them live, but when I do, aww man, its gonna rule. Amazing album.
7. High On Fire - Blessed Black Wings -
Ouch! Metal as! But ace!
8. Open Hand - You and Me -
Stoner rock and a nice break from the pretentions of other music. Great to sing along to, great to mosh to, all round great album!
9. Sigur Ros - Takk -
Beautiful, epic, amazing soundscapes.Post-rock at its best from one of the most under-rated bands in the world.
10. LCD Soundsystem - LCD Soundsystem -
If I could dance, this album would probably be top 5, but I can't so therefore its not, but a fantastic album nevertheless. Dancexcore babeh!

Honourable mentions go to:

As I Lay Dying - Shadows Are Security
Bearvsshark - Terrorhawk
Between The Buried And Me - Alaska
bloodsimple. - A Cruel World
British Sea Power - Open Season
Cave In - Perfect Pitch Black
Dream Theater - Octavarium
Every Time I Die - Gutter Phenomenon
HORSE The Band - The Mechanical Hand
Royksopp - The Understanding
Supergrass - The Road To Rouen
The Black Dahlia Murder - Miasma
Thrice - Vheissu
Weezer - Make Believe.

So there we have it.

Disagree about anything? Then leave me a comment and i'm willing to argue with you until you kill yourself or just concede defeat.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home